Monday, September 30, 2013

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers - Read Sept 2013

I ordered several books from the Toronto Public Library Catalog that I found listed on the Oprah Book List.  This was the second that arrived - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers.  It was written in much the same style as Beautiful Ruins that I had just read, where we follow different characters.  There stories intertwine and we look at human character.  The main take away for me in this book is that people feel connection by telling there stories and sharing their 'true' self when the other can not or does not respond.  I say this because many of the characters develop a relationship with a deaf mute, Singer and they go to him regularly to tell him their woes or their stories.  He listens and takes it all in - no judgement, no suggestions - just takes it in.  Then also Singer finds comfort in going to talk to his confidant, Antonapolous, a fellow mute.  Antonapolous, you are lead to believe, can not understand Singer yet Singer longs to go to talk to his friend throughout the book.  It ties into the next book I am reading in a way.  The book I am now reading is talking about shame and that sometimes we are afraid to let who we are show.
I don't know if it was because I had just finished a book in such a similar style, or if it was just that I didn't feel connected with the writers story but I didn't really like it.  It was okay.  The writing was fine.  The themes were moderately interesting but I finished the book and was glad it didn't go on.  I was done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment